Every day, we send out a one-page memo summarizing the 5 top trending news in America and the world. In today’s highlights, senate democrat, Trump impeachment trial, SpaceX, Covid relief bill, President Joe Biden.
1. The U.S. government will begin shipping 1 million vaccine doses directly to select pharmacies next week, Jeff Zients, White House coordinator on COVID-19, announced Tuesday.
2. On Tuesday, the county’s public health department reported 205 new deaths for a total of 17,057.
3. Maryland has identified two more cases of the South African B.1.351 variant, from Montgomery County residents who recently traveled abroad Gov. Larry Hogan said.
4. Pregnant women are concerned about whether to get the COVID vaccine due to a lack of data.
5. A mental health surge for the other pandemic.
3.The U.S. Senate on Tuesday confirmed Alejandro Mayorkas to head the Department of Homeland Security, as the first Latino and immigrant to hold the position.
4. Pete Buttigieg, to head the U.S. Transportation Department, the first openly gay U.S. Cabinet secretary confirmed by lawmakers.
5. Lawyers for former President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that the U.S. Senate has no authority to try him as a private citizen.
1. Exxon Mobil Corp. reported the largest losses in its history nearly $20.1 billion for the fourth quarter.
2. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos will leave his post in Q3 this year. Amazon company’s top cloud executive Andy Jassy will lead the company while will transition to executive chairman of Amazon’s board.
3.The latest prototype of SpaceX’s next-generation Starship rocket launched successfully on Tuesday but exploded on impact during an attempted landing.
4. Kraft Heinz in talk to Sell Planters Brand to Hormel. The transaction if positive would value Planters brand at around $3 billion.
5. Uber is set to acquire Drizly the online alcohol delivery start-up.
1. Alexei Navalny, the main opposition leader in Russia, was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison on Tuesday for violating parole.
2. Capt. Sir Thomas Moore, the 100-year-old British World War II veteran who garnered global attention for his fundraising efforts amid the pandemic, has died after contracting COVID-19.
3. A peer-reviewed study finds Russia’s Sputnik V coronavirus vaccine is over 91% effective.
4.The Tokyo Olympics will take place this year “no matter how the COVID situation will be,” organizers said Tuesday.
5. Mr. Draghi has been called to see Italy’s head of state, President Sergio Mattarella, on Wednesday.
Video from the web