Deposit a check used to be very challenging. Certainly, you had to go to the local office branch of your bank to carry out the transaction with all the challenges associated. Still, that option is fully available. But technology and digital evolution have provided faster, secured avenues to deposit a check in your checking, savings account.
Takeaways: How to deposit a check
How to deposit a check at a bank
1.Visiting a bank
If you are an old fashion like many, you will need to go to the bank. First check on the bank website to find the closest branch, and the opening hours. Then figure out your commute time to the branch.
2. The validity of the check
Double-check and verify the check if all the following items are correct:
- Name and address of the check’s issuer,
- Date of issue,
- Your name,
- Amount of money and the amount written in words should be identical.
- The front of the check is signed.
3. Go to the bank
Take your check and head to the bank, be sure to have your account number details and a valid form of government-issued identification.
You can speed up the process by filling up the deposit slip ahead of the process. Typically if you regularly do check transactions at your local bank. You should get some slips on your table. On the slip write your account number of the account you will like the check to be deposited and others details as requested. Secondly, fill in the amount of the check. Normally you will also find a space requesting for cash.
5. Endorse your check
You endorse the check by signing on the gray lines on the back of the check. However, if two names are on the check, both have to endorse. Nevertheless when it says “AND” then both. But if it says “OR” then either of you.
Give the check to the bank teller. After deposit the bank teller can inform you of your current balance, you can also request for cash. Nonetheless, never leave without proof of deposit.
7. Deposit by someone else
Another person can deposit your check in your account at your bank. But just make sure the check is endorsed, signed by you and the person has all your correct bank account details.
At a Credit Union
It pretty much a similar process except some minor differences. But credit union members can deposit checks at other credit unions. Locate any closest credit union branches here https://co-opcreditunions.org/
1.Visiting the closest Credit Union
If you are an old fashion like many, you will need to go to the Credit Union. First check on the website to find the closest branch, and the opening hours. Then figure out your commute time to the branch.
You can speed up the process by filling up the deposit slip ahead of the process. On the slip write your account number of the account you will like the check to be deposited and others details as requested. Secondly, fill in the amount of the check. Normally you will also find a space requesting for cash. However, if you are visiting another Credit Union you should request a “Special Slip”. Finally, provide the teller with all the detail related to your main Credit Union branch.
3. Deposit the check
Never forget to always ask for a proof of deposit and receipt that shows your current balance.
Deposit at an ATM
1. Go to one of your bank ATMs
ATMs stand for ( Automated Teller Machines). it is important to visit one of your own bank’s ATM. Any transaction at another ATM will result in a transaction fee. In addition, ATM will accept check deposit only from bank member. This also includes Credit Union.
2. Log in
Use your debit card and enter your personal identification number (PIN). If you don’t have or if you have forgotten your pin you will need to speak to a teller inside.
3. Choose which account to deposit into
Select deposit and the account you want the check deposited into. Then select check.
4. Insert the check
Confirm the check is correct and error-free then endorse it. Follow the direction and insert the check-in the slot. The ATM will ask you to confirm the following pieces of information: Amount, account number, and other information.
5. Complete the information
You will see your current balance and the possibility to print your receipt. Furthermore, you also do additional transactions.
How to deposit a check using a mobile APP
1. Download the Bank or the Credit Union mobile app
Once you’ve downloaded the app, check the check deposit feature.
2. Endorse your check
Make sure you complete all the requirements of your Bank or Credit Union. That is because some institutions have additional rule other than just signing and writing your name.
3. Take a picture of your check
Open the app check deposit feature. Conventionally, you will see “Front of the check” and “back of the Check”. Consequently, use these options to take a front and back of your endorsed check.
4. Deposit your check
Confirm all the information are correct on the screen. If there is an issue with the information on the check the app will reject it. Then Confirm all the information such as the amount on the check and the bank account. Then click submit. You should receive a notification to confirm that your check has been deposited.
5. Void the check
Keep the check for the number of the period indicated on the bank rules and regulations should anything happened.
1.check if your bank offers this service
However, you might need to pass a credit score before your bank will let you enroll.
2. Endorse your check
3. Choose the appropriate account to deposit your check-in
4. Scan your check on both side front and back.
The bank’s software will automatically guide you through the process. Make sure you scan the front of the check and the back of the check.
5. The amount
Some financial institutions system will require you to type in the amount on the check. Regardless make sure the amount matches the face value of the check.
Check with your financial institution to find out how long it takes to debit your account.
Mailing a check
1. Find a mailing address
Reach out to your bank or credit union and ask. Since most financial institutions have a dedicated department. So it is important to make sure you are sending it to the proper address.
2. Endorse your check
3. Mail the endorsed check
Do not forget the deposit slip, if necessary also include a photocopy of your picture ID.
How to fill out a bank slip?
- Personal information: Name, account number.
- Additional information: Today’s date, branch information required. If you are a credit union member using different branch you will need to write in the name of your credit union.
- Cash amount of your deposit: This is the total amount of bills and coins you’ve brought for deposit in your account. Leave it blank if you have not cash.
- Individualized each check: Include check numbers and amounts of each check if you have many checks.
- Subtotal: This is the total amount of checks and cash you’ve to deposit.
- Enter the amount you will like to take out
- Calculate the total deposit: Total deposit minus the amount you will like to take out now.
- Sign the deposit slip.
- ATM card: It is a pin-based card. You can use it at the local ATMs and you might be able to use it to make purchases.
- PIN: Personal Identification Number
- Debit card: It is an ATM card with a visa logo or a Mastercard logo on it.
- Credit Union: A credit union is a member-owned financial cooperative, controlled by its members and operated on the principle of people helping people, providing its members credit at competitive rates as well as other financial services.
- Money contents delivered to your inbox
- [wpforms id=”884″]